The City of Las Vegas has restored the historically significant United States Post Office and federal courthouse building downtown, transforming it into the Las Vegas Museum of Organized Crime and Law Enforcement, known as The Mob Museum. The Mob Museum will allow visitors to explore the history of organized crime in Las Vegas with interactive exhibits, films, artifacts and the re-creation of the original courtroom. The museum also includes a specialty retail store, special events areas, educational areas and office space. Workers referenced historic photographs and blueprints to maintain the 1950s look of the building while modernizing it, yet keeping many original elements intact.
- Reviewed and evaluated design team qualifications and actively participated on design team interview panel.
- Participated in negotiating agreements with architect and other consultants.
- Reviewed and provided input on the design architect’s draft contract, qualifications of consultants and budget.
- Chaired pre-construction meeting.
- Developed regular reporting methods and design schedule.
- Reviewed and provided input to develop strategies for public relations.
- Developed procedures for document control database.
- Conducted periodic constructability and value engineering reviews.
- Participated in programming interviews and International Building Code discussions.
- Participated in construction meetings and monitored project’s schedule and construction.
City of Las Vegas and Museum’s Nonprofit Foundation
Westlake Reed Leskosky and Chattel Architecture, Planning & Preservation, Inc.
The city had never done anything like this – the historical rehabilitation of an asset that is on the national registry of historic buildings. Acting as the city’s representative and project manager, Sean Leonard worked as a partner with the city to assist us with the development of the RFP, review and selection of the architectural and exhibit design team, as well as contract review. His insight and expertise ensured the whole process was smooth, organized, timely and in the best interest of the city.